Blues Lead Guitar #20 - Putting it all together
Now it's time to make some music out of all of this stuff!
So now you have all the 5 Patterns down and your licks in each one. So what to do now?
1. Make sure that you have the licks down and can experiment with each one and make it sound good - and make it your own. Practice working them in, until you can play all over the neck and have a lick in every position.
2. Use backing tracks to practice using your licks (or a band if you have one). I have a free backing track from Really Useful Play Along Tracks - or you can buy Jam Blues which is a collection of 12 tracks for you to jam your blues with! This is also included in the Blues Lead Guitar Box Set.
3. Work on using ONE lick for a whole five minute backing track and then next session try and mix that lick in with ones that you know already. That is the best way to blend them into your vocabulary.
4. Linking positions is another thing that you might want to add to your practice routine, working on one specific technique and making the most of it. There are examples on the linking licks lesson - start there and then experiment.
5. Once you are cool in the Key of A, you need to start moving your scales and licks into other keys. This is simply moving the ROOT NOTES of the scales to the new key. It will be pretty strange when you start but remember to start easy. Just play your position 1 licks in the new key, once you have that down, then, maybe link positions 1 and 2. then add 3... etc.
6. New licks? The best source for new licks is YOUR favourite artist. Please, please, please get into TRANSCRIBING. It is the way to learn blues guitar. You can use the Really Useful Blues Solos set and that will help you develop your transcribing skills, because they start easy and get harder, and you get the transcriptions too, so you can check your work!
More lessons coming up in a new series, called Advanced Blues Lead Guitar, which will cover more advanced topics and explain making the chord changes... ;)
Hope this has helped - take care and good luck! J
Watch The Video Lesson
Please check out my Blues products :) they're real good!