Reverb: Examples To Hear
Below there are links to excellent examples of different reverbs! If you know any other excellent examples, let me know in the comments! :)
Early amp (spring) based reverb sounds are often associated with the craze for Surf Guitar:
- Dick Dale & the Del Tones: ‘Misirlou’ (1963):
- The Shadows ‘Apache’ (1960): (Hank Marvin used an Italian echo unit - the Meazzi Echomatic 1 - as part of achieving his classic sound)
Reverb is integral to Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour’s beautiful strat sound:
- Pink Floyd 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' (1975)
Reverb is a crucial aspect of much Reggae and Dub:
- Augustus Pablo 'King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown' (1976)
Which would be a heavy influence on e.g., the Police:
- The Police ‘Walking On The Moon’ (1979)
In the 1980s reverb was used e.g., by U2 and producer Daniel Lanois to create a huge ‘widescreen’ sound for their albums including The Unforgettable Fire (1985) and The Joshua Tree (1987):
- U2 'Where The Streets Have No Name' (1987)
For an example of the use of a natural space - here, a stairwell in a stately home:
- Led Zeppelin 'When The Levee Breaks' (1971)
Here is a nice example of digital reverb:
- Jeff Buckley ‘Hallelujah’ (1994)
You may see reference to Gated Reverb, which is a way of using reverb in conjunction with a noise gate to create a specific effect associated with punchy, 80s drums. This is a little different from the other reverb usage above as it’s not attempting to emulate natural reverberation; it takes the possibilities of reverb technologies to create something different.
- Phil Collins ‘In The Air Tonight’ (1981)
- LESSON STEPS -
Found an issue?
Please submit it. This will help me make constant improvements to better your experience.